At the point where the Theodosian Land Walls join the older wall of the Blachernai, in the later middle ages a palace was built across the space between the main and front wall. This building is the only remaining part of the palaces in the Blachernai region. Usually it is dated in the late 13th century and identified with the Palace of Constantine Porphyrogennetos, a son of Michael VIII Palaiologos. However, it is possible that the 13th century building uses parts of older constructions. For this reason, and because the fašade with its decorative brick settings is definitely one of the best works among the few pieces of secular architecture that have survived, we decided to include it here.
View from south.
|Copyright © 2004 Byzantium 1200|